Missioner for Children and Families
Christ Church of the Ascension seeks a new Missioner for Children and Families. Our long history of successful children and family ministries is ready for your leadership. Join a team of staff and clergy dedicated to discipleship and scripture in developing the next generation. We invite you to discern with us if you are being called to serve in Paradise Valley, Arizona, at an exceptional parish in the Phoenix Metro Area.
The ideal candidate for Missioner for Children and Families (CF) is energetic, well-organized with excellent communication skills and familiar with dynamic children and family ministry as a central mission of the Church. The candidate demonstrates a knowledge and love of scripture along with Anglican tradition and has experience sharing that knowledge with love to children and families. The ideal candidate is outgoing, hard-working, flexible, collegial, and has a passion for both building community and incorporating children and families into a large parish community.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree with course work in religious education, childhood development, primary or secondary education, OR other related disciplines
- Knowledge of, or interest in learning, family systems theory
- Experience in implementing Godly Play or similar interactive lectionary-based curriculum
- Strong leadership, people skills, and program analysis abilities
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with other partners in ministry
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, train, and lead volunteers
- Effective advocate for incorporation of children and families in all aspects of parish life.
- Build and maintain relationships with children (Nursery – 6th Grade) and their families
- Plan, implement, and manage Educational discipleship programming for children and families Sunday mornings, weeknights, and Summer Vacation Bible School
- Coordinate children’s involvement in liturgy (e.g. readers, acolytes, intercessors)
- Stay up-to-date and coordinate with diocesan events, especially diocesan summer and family camps, as well as create and maintain relationships with other parish children and family missioners
- Communicate CF events using established parish communication channels and social media
- Convene committee of lay leaders for assistance in leading CF ministries
- Recruit, train, and collaborate with, volunteers
- Partner with parish clergy on liturgical and instructional needs they might fulfill
- Ensure children and families are represented across all parish ministries
- Advocate for children and families in parish governance, especially in monthly presentations to the Vestry
Acknowledging that this is a full-time ministry position with irregular hours, the Missioner of CF must be present for Sunday services and other weekend and weekly evening events as needed. It is expected and encouraged that the Missioner observe two (2) 24-hour periods of personal sabbath each week. Full benefits, including vacation, health, dental insurance and pension are provided.
Please submit resume and cover letter (Word document or PDF only, please) to:
The Rev. Timothy Watt, Associate Rector: email@example.com by June 7, 2019
Your cover letter should also address the following questions:
- How do you currently engage parents and adult volunteers in ministry partnership?
- Share a story about an important moment in your own spiritual journey
- Tell us a personal story that will help us understand your approach to ministry with children and families